Smart Employers Know the effect of chronic stress on the success of their employees and therefore, their business.
The smartest employers are implementing programs that teach employees psychological flexibility that considers the human drive for autonomy and reduces stress far more than any of the dose dependent stress reduction methods.¹ ²
Smart Employers Know that focusing their efforts on Primary Prevention which is designed to prevent problems from occurring, rather than waiting until after they occur to address them, will always be ahead of those whose strategy is reactive.
Smart Employers Know that the level of stress most employees experience in modern society is typically enough to be in the harmful level. Our society routinely tolerates far higher levels of stress than is healthy, often wearing the level of stress tolerated as a badge of honor. This tactic is completely ignorant of the facts that living with chronic stress:
- Decreases the function of our immune system, leading to more illness and earlier deaths
- Decreases cognitive function, leading to more unhealthy decisions and a lower ability to solve problems
- Contributes significantly to the high percentage of GNP we spend on health care while receiving poor results
- Increases the chance of addictions
- Is the leading contributor to mental health issues from depression, anxiety to bipolar disorder and more
- Increases the prevalence of chronic diseases that rob people of a high quality of life far too often and at young ages
- Significantly reduces the quality of relationships of all types, from spouses and children to co-workers and neighbors
- Is the # 1 factor that prevents good results in:
- Employee Engagement
- The impact of stress begin almost instantaneously and compounds over time
- The risk of preterm delivery of our offspring when we’ve endured chronic stress for years
- The negative impact on physical, mental, and behavioral health of our children
Smart Employers Know that employees who have been trained in psychological flexibility experience significantly lower harmful stress under situations that produce harmful levels of stress in those who do not deliberately use their ability to be psychologically flexible to reduce stress.
What could your team do that it is not doing now?
Contact us today to learn how we can help your team develop winning mindsets and the psychological flexibility it takes to go the distance and arrive healthy.
(704) 25 one -51 five zero
¹ Kashdan, Todd B., Psychological Flexibility as a Fundamental Aspect of Health, Clin Psychol Rev. 2010 November 1; 30(7): 865–878., doi: 10.1016/j.cpr.2010.03.001,
² Gorin, Amy. A., Powers, Theodore A., Koestner, Richard, Wing, Rena R., Raynor, Hollie, Autonomy Support, Self-Regulation, and Weight Loss, Health Psychology, 2014, Vol. 33, No. 4, 332–339, http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/a0032586